Sunday 15 February 2009

Ghana Authorities, Dead People & "Don't fall in Love". (Ghana - 10 - 15th Feb 2009.)

Hello everyone, I'm in Accra just now.

The last few days was seriously fucked up.
I apologise for my inappropriate use of the english language, but by the end of this blog, you'd understand why.

I'm going through mixed emotions... I feel home sick, but at the same time I don't want to leave Ghana.
I nearly got arrested on wednesday because we (or josh in my group) upset the villege elders in the villege next door. I still strongly disagree with the whole thing and I did nothing wrong...

On friday night, I saw many dead bodies lying on the road side when we drove by a big traffic accident. The bus inconviniently stopped, so we got the full close range view of the unfortunate. That seriously freaked me out. Seen the faces of the dead was the thing that put me off the most. All this was happening to us while 23 people simply die right in front of us, like people come and go from our planet on a covert belt in a manufacturing factory, whats suitable for dispatching and what's getting binned. I'm not religious, but sometimes I wonder what God is trying to tell us...

This trip has been an eye opener for me....
Getting rushed to the hospital, seen the difference between the rich and the poor, seeing poverty, seeing corruption in social aspects, many other fucked up things and ignoring the first advice I got: "Don't fall in love". Why do I fall for someone at the wrong place at the wrong time. I distracted myself from doing good to Ghana.... What I'm I doing?

I'm sure I'm a bigger person & more mature.
I feel I have a better understanding of the world and the humanity.
I have met so many amazing people from around the world.
I have met so many amazing Ghanaians.
I would never forget them.

When we left the villege, a boy called Ben, whose family cooked for us, cried as if he'd never see us again. That moment will always be projected in my mind on repeat.

Few weeks ago, I went to someone's house were they had a fridge, a cooker, a TV and a DVD player. That serioulsy freaked me out, like I came out of the stone age!

Anyway, we are flying home tonight. 10 weeks, 70 days, 1680 hours...
This was undoubtably the toughest thing I have ever done and it's all coming to an end.
Jamie, give yourself a pat in the back.

I'll write another blog when I get back to conclude my trip.

so... when can I come back here???

jamie x

No comments: